Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Eat Like A Child, Your Child

After the blog about McDonald's and the children I got to thinking about how one of my milestones is having a child.  It's this far off wish that I rationalize will be the time I'll give up my bad habits.

"I'll eat right when I'm pregnant for sure."

"Breast feeding will be great for my metabolism."

"Sex and the City told me that taking care of a baby will help me burn calories."

The one thing I do look forward to is fixing things like healthy bento boxes for my kids.  Have you seen them?  Adventures in Bentomaking is one of the most inspired blogs on bentos. Small portions of fresh food heavy in fruits and vegetables along with lean proteins.  Isn't that the perfect diet?

Do you have an idea of what you actually want your kids to eat?  What if you ate the same things?  Does the well being and health of your child inspire you to be healthier?

Things I like about kids foods:

1. Convenience and portability are of the utmost importance in kids meals.  That idea melds well with the compact self contained nature of so many fruits.  Think strawberries and bananas!  How much more convenient does it get?

2. Robust colors and visual appeal are paramount to get children to eat it.  Eating the rainbow is not just some skittles advertisement.  Eating the natural rainbow in produce provides more nutrients and antioxidants than plain green leafy vegetables.

3. Small amounts of lean meats.  Kids naturally don't usually eat a lot of meat and don't have a problem consuming lean meats while not having cravings for fattening protein like bacon.  Sticking to proteins that don't overpower the fruits, vegetables and whole grains in mass results in less calories at each meal.

What I like the most about eating a healthy child's diet is that children learn good nutrition not just through what you feed them but by watching what their parents eat.  Why not be a good example?

No comments: